Saturday, July 17, 2010

Not for the weak of stomach, the vegan/vegetarian, or the generally grossed out...You've been warned!

So I want to share a tool that a lot of people my age really don't have or use. It can save a lot of money. I want to talk about cutting up a whole chicken. I spent 4 dollars on this chicken, and I will get two meals for my hubby and I (it was one of the smaller ones, only a little bigger than a Cornish hen, but you can use the same method for a bigger chicken....). It is a messy process, and it is essential that you keep everything clean, drain any juices from the package before you take out the chicken, and wash your hands in between everything!!! I started with the bird breastbone up. I sort of tore the wings off, because I knew I could just muscle it because it was so small. Usually you would have to cut the cartilage to get the wings off. I put the wings aside.
I then pulled off the legs, which I muscled through too. Mostly just jostling and twisting, cutting the skin and meat around where the thigh is (you know what a leg+thigh looks like...come on...), which was the hardest part (the cutting). I pulled the skin off while I did this, which i acutally difficult for the most part. But you just have to keep pulling until you're done! Now, on a normal basis, you would probably just make a cut next to the breast bone on either side and start cutting the skin off the bone. I, however cut the bird in half, cutting the breastbone in half, and cut the meat from the bone because it was easier for me to get a hold of. Then, I took off all the fat and skin that I could

...and voila, I have two wings, two legs+thighs, and two breasts, skinless (and the breasts are boneless...). Yuck! Look at all that fat and skin!! Well good luck! It's really not that hard if you start with small one and work to a big one, and once you do it once, it's a total breeze.

1 comment: